Polls show President Trump’s popularity continues its downward slide, most especially among independents.
But buried in one report was something jaw dropping for Democrats. Pollsters revealed that if the 2016 presidential election were held today, voters wouldn’t change their mind. Trump would still beat Hillary Clinton.
For years, Democrats have been losing power across the country. It’s led to the fewest number of Democrats holding state legislatures, governorships, and federal offices since the 1920s. Simply put, we have become disconnected from the hearts and minds of America’s voters. Polls show that we’re more out of touch than even Trump or the GOP.
In the weeks after Trump’s election, moderate Democrats (and a few sensible Republicans) came together to draft what we’ve called “Our American Oath.” Similar to the Contract with America, the plan outlines 10 broad policy objectives that Democrats should use to rally the party – and the nation.
The plan includes focus on:
1. Clean Government. We must adopt a constitutional amendment adopting term limits and a lifetime ban on elected officials serving as lobbyists.
2. Fair Trade. Unions have long argued that shipping jobs abroad would ruin far too many families and communities. NAFTA and the WTO must be renegotiated.
3. Economic Vitality. We support rebuilding America’s infrastructure to facilitate job growth and protect the health of our people. Meanwhile, we must address the economic fallout of automation, robotics, and artificial intelligence.
4. Education. We staunchly support public education but also believe in non-profit charter schools where communities want them.
5. Energy. The elites of both parties have shipped our children off to wars for oil. No more. It’s time to rebuild our energy economy based solar, wind and natural gas.
6. National Security. We embrace the goal of making countries democratic, but not by the barrel of a gun. Next, our fight against terrorism must address the radical Islamic ideology that pours from Saudi Arabia while emphasizing most Muslims are peaceful.
7. Corporate America. Big corporations often chase profits at the expense of the American worker. We will fight any efforts to roll back common sense rules to keep businesses honest.
8. Environment. The Iroquois tribe had it right – every decision should consider how it might impact the wellbeing of seven generations in the future.
9. Social Issues. The government doesn’t belong in our bodies, our bedrooms, or our churches. So long as our choices don’t require taxpayer resources, it’s no one’s business but our own.
10. Social Safety Net. We understand that the government can be a force for good if it’s directed properly. Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and the Affordable Care Act are prime examples of that. Still, reforms are needed.
These principles are not exhaustive, but they reflect the core values of most Democrats – and many Americans. Over the next two years, we propose that likeminded grassroots organizations work together to draft legislation to move these ideas forward and present them to our fellow citizens in a full court public press.
Will there be disagreement as we shape Our American Oath? You bet. But make no mistake, we must move forward as quickly as possible. No matter what Democrats throw his way, Trump’s America will be the new America.